The U.S. Census Bureau is preparing to conduct the next decennial census in 2020. This action is required under an enumeration clause in the U.S. Constitution. A fair, accurate and complete count of all persons impacts important decisions or information regarding:
- How many representatives are apportioned among the states
- How hundreds of billions of federal dollars are allocated to states and localities for key programs in areas such as:
- land use/housing/economic development
- transportation infrastructure
- public safety/emergency services
- health care services
- The quality of census data that businesses and others can use to decide business expansion and job growth
Inversely, undercounts of individuals can lead to inadequate representation and funding. This, in turn, puts more pressure on state and local governments, service providers and businesses in undercounted areas to do more to address unmet needs.
The Pima Association of Governments Regional Council believes that it and all its member organizations have a significant stake and role to play in ensuring that all residents in Pima County are counted as part of the 2020 Census. To help make certain the population count is accurate, PAG established a 2020 Census Coalition, will provide Census training to cities and towns in the PAG region, and will lead a regional awareness campaign starting in 2019.
For more information about Census 2020, visit www.census.gov.
Your Community Is Counting on You (U.S. Census Bureau video)